Sunday 8 March 2015

Happy International Women's Day

One of my male friends sent me an email to wish me "Happy International Women's Day".  If I didn't receive his email, I won't even remember today is International Women's Day. Do you celebrate International Women's Day?  How do you celebrate it?

International Women's Day 2015, International Women's Day, Google Doodles, Google Doodle, Google
International Women's Day 2015 - copyright @ Google Doodles

In my friend's email, he also included a quote of Sigmund Freud (6 May 1856 – 23 September 1939).
"Despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, I have not yet been able to answer the great question that has never been answered: What does a woman want?"

Of course Freud didn't know.  His theories are based on observations of his children, not women.

I guess my friend sent me this quotation on International Women's Day as a joke.  Revival of feminism is one of the reasons why Freud's reputation started to tarnish.  A well-known American feminist Betty Friedan (4 February 1921 – 4 February 2006) considered Freud's view of women is still in Victorian era  (20 June 1837 – 22 January 1901).

Embarrassingly, the person tried to save his legacy was also a woman.  Freud's youngest daughter Anna (3 December 1895 – 9 October 1982).  Well, looks like she did a good job.  We still have to learn Freud's theories in Psychology 101 at university.

Anyways, back to International Women's Day.  How am I going to celebrate it?  Umm, read a good book, make some yummy things to eat, or watch a movie.  Check how I can sponsor a girl to give her a quality education.  Enjoy my freedom and be thankful that I can vote. 


Next blog post:
Spring is in the air and Skunks reappear - DIY skunk smell removal for dogs 


Previous blog post:

No comments :

Post a Comment