Tuesday 27 January 2015

Looking for good saline drops for eyes - DIY saline eye drops recipe

This winter is so dry for my mum's eyes.  So, she wants to get some saline eye drops.  Well, we have to admit that the main reason for my mum to try saline eye drops is the recommendation of Dr. Oz.

My mum searched online for days but she couldn't decide which one to use.  She could go to a drug store and ask, perhaps. 

One of my friends gave me a DIY formula to make saline eye drops.  She said, "Be extra careful making saline solution at home.  It's important to use pure ingredients.  Make sure your hands and all equipments are germ-free.

My friend's DIY saline eye drops recipe
 
Ingredients

non-iodized table salt (sodium chloride) 1/16 teaspoon or a pinch
Distilled water or purified water 1/4 cup (60 ml) 
(Metric system 1 cup = 250 ml, 1/4 cup is 62.5 ml) 
(Imperial system 1 cup = 240 ml, 1/4 cup is 60 ml) 

Ingredients not recommended by my friend:
* Rock salt and sea salt may be iodized. i.e. with chemicals not good for our eyes. 
* Tap water - not as clean as distilled water or purified water 

Directions
1. prepare a clean and sterilized bottle 
2. put salt in the bottle and pour in water 
3. shake the bottle to dissolve the salt 
4. transfer saline solution into smaller clean and sterilized eyedropper bottles

Note
* This saline solution can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. 
* Before each use, squeeze a small amount of saline solution to clean the tip of the dropper.

Hmm, saline solution is very easy to make.  But it's for my mum's eyes.  I'd like to be super careful if I make it or if my mum makes it.  Before that, we need eyedropper bottles.  I have some recycled ones from my cosmetic collection.  Don't think they are good for my mum's saline eye drops, though.

By the way, my friend, 1/16 teaspoon?  How do you measure it?  The smallest teaspoon I have is 1/10.  I bought it to make my DIY cosmetics.

This is how we can get approximately 1/16 teaspoon of salt, according to my friend.
1. pour 1/4 teaspoon of salt on a dark solid-coloured plate 
2. divide the salt in half, and then in half again

Interesting, this is how we can get a pinch (1/16 teaspoon) of salt. 

For everyone out there who would like to make this DIY saline eye drops, please remember, this solution is not a substitute for any medicine and / or medical advice from your doctor.  Before using home remedies, if in doubt, please consult a medical professional. 

Enjoy the rest of winter, everyone.  Hope we won't have more winter storms. 


Next blog post:
Weekly special from Wednesday January 28 2015 


Previous blog post: 


No comments :

Post a Comment